How To Prep Delicious Scotch Eggs
You can have Scotch Eggs using 29 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Scotch Eggs
- You need 3.5 oz of Shrimps Deveined Shelled,.
- You need 1 TSP of Baking Soda,.
- Prepare 1 Cup of Ice Cubes,.
- It's 2 TBSP of Egg White,.
- Prepare 1 TBSP of Tapioca Starch,.
- You need 3.5 oz of Chicken Breast Skinless Boneless Ground,.
- Prepare 3.5 oz of Chicken Thigh Skinless Boneless Ground,.
- You need 2 TBSP of Thai Chili Paste,.
- Prepare Pinch of Sea Salt,.
- Prepare Pinch of White Pepper,.
- It's Pinch of Dried Mushroom Powder,.
- Prepare 3 of Eggs,.
- Prepare of Canola / Peanut / Vegetable Oil, For Frying.
- You need of Bleached All Purpose Flour, For Dredging.
- It's 2 of Eggs Lightly Beaten,.
- Prepare of Cornflakes Ground, For Dredging.
- You need of High Quality Japanese Panko, For Dredging.
- Prepare of Arugula / Lettuce / Any Greens Desired, For Plating.
- You need of Thai Chili Paste:.
- Prepare 5 Cloves of Garlic,.
- Prepare 2 of Shallots,.
- You need 5 of Dried Red Chilies Deseeded,.
- You need 2 TBSP of Dried Shrimps,.
- Prepare 1.5 TBSP of Tamarind Juice,.
- It's Pinch of Sea Salt,.
- It's 1/2 TBSP of Fish Sauce,.
- You need 1.5 TBSP of Palm Sugar,.
- You need 1/8 TSP of Shrimp Pasta,.
- You need 1/8 Cup of Canola / Peanut / Vegetable Oil,.
Scotch Eggs step by step
- You can use store-bought Thai chili paste or you can make your own:.
- Prepare the Thai chili paste. Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius or 400 fahrenheit. Wrap garlic and shallot in a aluminium foil. Wack into the oven and roast for about 30 mins or until the garlic and shallots are soft. Toast dried chilies in a skillet over medium heat..
- Toast until aromatic and the chilies are lightly charred. Blitz the toasted chili under powder forms in a spice grinder. Blitz up the dried shrimps into fine pieces in the spice grinder as well. Transfer the roasted garlic, shallots, toasted chilies and shrimps into a blender..
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Blitz until smooth paste form. Transfer into the same skillet over medium heat. *You can add 1/4 cup of water into the blender to blitz up all the leftover nooks and crannies. Transfer the water mixture into the skillet.*.
- Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and it turns a darker shade of red. Remove from heat and transfer into a sterilized jar. *It can be kept in the fridge for up to 30 days.*.
- Let's prepare the scotch eggs. Transfer the shrimps into a large bowl. Coat the shrimps well with baking soda. Add just enuff cold water to submerge the shrimps. Add in the ice cubes..
- Set aside for at least 30 mins. Drain and rinse the shrimps thoroughly under running water. Pat the shrimps dry with kitchen paper. Place shrimps into a small bowl along with egg white and tapioca starch..
- Mix and coat the shrimps well with the marinade. Cover with cling film and marinade in fridge overnight. You can grind your chicken and shrimps in a meat grinder. Or you can use a blender. Transfer the ground chicken and shrimps in a shallow bowl..
- Add Thai chili paste, salt, pepper and mushroom powder. Mix until well combined. Cover with cling film. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use. In a sauce pot, bring 1/2 inch of water to a slow gentle boil..
- Carefully, using a pair of tongs, place the eggs into the water. Cover and let the eggs steam for exactly 6 mins. Remove from heat and immediately place the eggs under running water. Add ice if needed, to stop the eggs from cooking further..
- Carefully peel the shells from the eggs. Set aside. In a dutch oven over medium heat, add 2 inches of oil. *To check the temperature of the oil, insert a wooden chopstick into the oil. If bubbles start to form around the chopstick, the oil is ready for frying.*.
- Add flour onto a plate. Add eggs onto a plate. Mix and combine cornflakes and panko on a plate. Lightly season flour and eggs with salt, pepper and mushroom powder..
- Divide the chicken shrimp mixture into 3.5oz portions. Carefully mold the meat mixture to cover the boiled eggs completely. Dredged the shaped scotch eggs onto the flour. Follow by egg..
- Lastly, onto the cornflakes panko mixture. Do not worry if the scotch egg is outta shape at 1st, you will be able to shape them during the cornflakes panko dredge. Place the scotch egg onto a spider..
- Gently drop into the oil. Deep fried until golden brown on all sides. Remove from heat and drain off excess oil on wire cooling rack or on a plate lined with parchment paper..
- Repeat the process for the remaining scotch eggs. You can decorate the serving plate with some greens. Transfer the scotch eggs onto serving plate. Serve immediately..