Recipes: Diet Grandma's Apple Pie
Grandma's Apple Pie. Reviews for: Photos of Apple Pie by Grandma Ople. You saved Apple Pie by Grandma Ople to your Favorites. All Reviews for Grandma's Apple Pie 'Ala Mode' Moonshine.
Whether brewed as moonshine or done as a shot, the Grandma's Apple Pie drink provides an adult twist on a favorite dessert. Toss the apples with the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutmeg, and salt. My Grandma's Apple Pie is an authentic recipe for Apple Pie that we make together every year for Thanksgiving! grandma's apple pie. You can cook Grandma's Apple Pie using 16 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Grandma's Apple Pie
- You need of lattice-top pie.
- You need 2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It's 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 2/3 cup of shortening or chilled butter, cut into small cubes (unsalted unless making a savory pie).
- It's 2 tbsp of sugar (granulated or icing sugar).
- Prepare 1 of ice cold water (around 6-8 tablespoons).
- Prepare 3 of egg yolks.
- You need of pie filling.
- Prepare 6 of apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I prefer Gala, Fuji or Pacific Rose).
- Prepare 3/4 of to 1 cup sugar, according to apples used (preferably powered).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of flour for thickening.
- It's 1/2 of to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Prepare pinch of full of ground nutmeg.
- It's 1 tbsp of lime juice.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 2 tbsp of butter or margarine.
Grandma Ople's Famous Apple Pie The BEST Apple Pie I've Ever Made! My grandma used to make this pie for birthdays instead of cake. It's a family favorite of ours now any time of Use only baking apples for apple pie. I like Jonathon, Granny Smith or Macintosh varieties.
Grandma's Apple Pie instructions
- For pastry; mix flour, salt and sugar together and add butter to it. Toss the mix with a fork until small pea-sized lumps begin to form..
- Slowly start adding ice cold water to the mixture, around 1 tablespoon at a time, while mixing it all together (in this step mix by using hands or a blender. Hands preferred so you know the consistency of the dough.). Continue adding water until the dough just starts to hold together. Do not add too much water or you will have a chewy, tough crust..
- Form the dough in a mound (do not over knead the dough. This will release gluten and spoil the texture of pie crust). Divide it into two parts. Form into ballls. Roll one balls out around 1/8 inch thick over a floured surface. You could choose to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes before the rolling it out but that's optional..
- Line the rolled pastry in a pie plate, trim off the excess dough along the edges and cover the plate with some cling film. I used an 8 inch removal-bottom plate in this recipe..
- Toss the plate into fridge and let it cool for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Meanwhile heat your oven to 180°C..
- Remove the pie plate from the fridge, take off the cling film. Prick the lined pastry a few times all over with a fork. This will avoid formation of bubbles or uneven baking. But do not prick if filling and crust are baked together..
- Bake the pie for around 20 minutes or until it is golden in color. You could also line the pastry with baking paper, put some weights like beans over the baking paper and then bake. This too ensures no bubbles form in the pie crust..
- Let the pie crust cool. Beat 3 egg yolks and give the baked crust a nice egg wash. Bake again at 180°C for 5 minutes. This makes the crust water-proof, ie it won't get soggy after you add filling to the pie..
- Mix all the filling ingredients together and fill into the baked pie crust. Dot butter or margarine over the filling. I added a few cashew nut pieces to the filling for a little crunch..
- For the top crust, roll the other ball of dough (preferably refrigerated before rolling) and cut it into 1/2 inch thick stripes with a knife or a pizze cutter. Weave the mesh like pattern right over the pie plate after adding the filling. Trim off the excess dough along the edges of the plate. Give the top crust a nice egg wash..
- Bake the pie for about 50 minutes at 180°C or until top crust is nice and golden..
- Enjoy the fruits of your labor with some freah cream!.
Grandma's Apple Pie: This pie won't disappoint, it's a tried-and-true recipe that will be a wonderful dessert to any dinner party! Grandma s Homemade Apple Pie Recipe Homemade Crust Have you heard of Grandma Ople's Apple Pie? It has been one of Allrecipes biggest hits. I have to admit, however, that I have been skeptical of this recipe for years. More about the Grandma's Apple Pie.