Recipe: Yummy Angel food cake
Angel food cake.
You can cook Angel food cake using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Angel food cake
- You need 360 ml of egg whites (11-12 eggs).
- You need 125 g of plain flour.
- Prepare 300 g of caster sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of cream of tartar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Prepare 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1/2 tsp of rose water or your favourite extract (almond, orange).
Angel food cake step by step
- Sift the flour with half the amount of the sugar into a bowl. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Get a two part angel food cake tube pan ready but do not grease it..
- Separate the eggs while cold – it’s much easier (some ideas for what to do with the egg yolks in the preface above) and bring them to room temperature..
- Place them in the bowl of a standing mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, or in a very large bowl if using a hand held mixer with a whisk. Beat until foamy..
- Add the cream of tartar, salt and the lemon juice and continue until soft peaks. Start adding the remaining sugar, by a tablespoon, and continue beating until the meringue is stiff and glossy and the sugar is used up. Add the vanilla extract and your flavour and beat in..
- Fold the flour and sugar mix into the meringue in four goes, using a spatula or a hand whisk – be careful not to deflate the mix..
- Pour it into the tin, cut a spatula through the batter to smooth it out and remove any air pockets..
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean and the sponge springs back when gently pressed..
- Immediately invert the tin and prop it up on an upturned bowl or small pot, so the cake is suspended in the tin. Leave it to cool completely..
- When cold, run a palette knife around the sides of the tin to release the cake, then run it along the bottom and around the tube to unmould it. Place on a serving dish and decorate with strawberries, cream, and all things summery..