Recipe: Appetizing Old fashion sponge cake
Old fashion sponge cake.
You can have Old fashion sponge cake using 11 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Old fashion sponge cake
- It's 75 g of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 110 g of cake flour.
- Prepare 2 tbs of cocoa powder.
- Prepare 75 g of Orange Juice.
- It's 15 g of golden syrup.
- Prepare 6 of yolks.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 6 of egg whites.
- Prepare 120 g of -150g sugar (I use 100g and decorated with icing sugar).
- You need 1/8 tsp of cream of tartar (optional).
- Prepare of Line the base of an 8″ round pan and grease the sides (can use spring form pan).
Old fashion sponge cake step by step
- 1. Heat oil in a saucepan on low fire until just simmering. If you have a thermometer it’s around 65oC ~70oC..
- Remove and immediately add the flour and stir with a whisk until smooth. Add syrup, orange juice, salt. Stir to combine. Add egg one by one and mix until smooth and runny. Set aside..
- Beat egg white with cream of tartar until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peak form..
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Pour this mixture to the meringue again and whisk quickly. At last, using a spatula to fold up the batter until no more yolk batter can be seen..
- Devide the batter in 2. Mix with 2 tbs of cocoa powder. Pour in 2 different measuring cups. Pour equally white batter and cocoa batter in to the pan at the same time..
- Use a tooth skewer to draw marble pattern..
- Preheat the oven with only the upper heating coil at 170oC. Put a tray of hot water at the lowest rack of the oven. Put the baking pan on to the 2nd rack of the oven. Bake steam bath about 40’. After 40 minutes, reduce the temperature to 150 degree with both the upper and lower heating, for another 30’ minutes..
- Remove the cake with the pan from oven and drop them to the table top from a height of about 8 cm. This is to prevent the cake from excessive shrinkage during cooling. Run a spatula round the edge of the warm cake to dislodge it from the mould. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting..
- Best served after 2 hours of refrigeration!.
- Cut in to slices!.
- So moist!.
- Love the soft texture!.